YUMI (York Unifying and Multicultural Initiative) is looking to appoint a new Treasurer from July 2nd, when our current Treasurer steps down. YUMI has been established since November 2004, and up until now has been a predominantly activities- and events-based voluntary organisation, operating city wide and with a strong local reputation for intercultural initiatives. We are now markedly increasing our scope and capacity, and will become an incorporated charity by the end of the year.
The Treasurer will oversee the financial matters of the charity in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements and report to the Management Committee at regular intervals about the financial health of the organisation. The Treasurer will ensure that effective financial measures, controls and procedures are put in place, and are appropriate for the charity.
We’re looking for someone who has experience of working in the voluntary sector, and who is able to support our financial management as we increase our activities, income and expenditure, staff and governance procedures. Our current Management Committee is a team of seven people, including three advisers and the founder/director.
• Overseeing, and presenting budgets, accounts, management accounts and financial statements to the Management Committee after discussion with the finance director, where applicable,
• leading in the Management Committee’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent, in line with the charity’s policies, good governance, legal and regulatory requirements,
• leading in the development and implementation of financial reserves, cost management and investment policies,
• liaising, where applicable, with the finance director or other appropriate member of staff responsible for the financial activities of the organisation,
• chairing any finance committee in line with standing orders and terms of reference, and reporting back to the Management Committee,
• liaising with the charity’s auditors or independent examiner, where appropriate,
• monitoring and advising on the financial viability of the charity after liaising with the charity’s auditors,
• creating, in liaison with the finance director (where there is one), sound financial instruments for the control of charity assets,
• Implementing and monitoring specific financial controls and systems are in place accordingly and adhered to,
• advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plan,
• overseeing the charity’s financial risk-management process,
• liaising with the charity secretary and finance director, where applicable, to ensure that the charity’s annual accounts are compliant with the current Charities SORP,
• where the charity has an internal audit function, the Treasurer will be required to work closely with the internal audit team and any sub-committee of the Management Committee,
• acting as a counter-signatory on charity cheques (including any electronic transactions) and any applications for funds,
• maintaining sound financial management of the charity’s resources, ensuring expenditure is in line with the charity’s objects,
• contributing to the fundraising strategy of the organisation.
You can read more about YUMI on: www.yumiyork.org
If you’re interested in this voluntary position, please get in touch: contact Sasiki at firstname.lastname@example.org, and provide a relevant CV and statement of interest.